Religious Affairs

Hajj 2027 Applications Face Fresh Delay, Pilgrims Left Waiting

Sources say the application process failed to begin at the announced time, leaving intending pilgrims unable to submit applications online or through banks, while a formal launch was expected before wider processing began.

ISLAMABAD: The Hajj 2027 application process faced delays on Tuesday, leaving intending pilgrims waiting to submit their applications online and through banks despite expectations that the process would begin during the day, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Pilgrims Face Difficulties

Sources said arrangements had been made for the application process to be formally inaugurated by a senior government figure before applications were accepted on a wider scale.

The planned launch contributed to the process not beginning at the expected time, the sources claimed.

The delay caused difficulties for intending pilgrims, some of whom visited banks expecting to submit their applications but were unable to complete the process.

Others repeatedly attempted to use the online system but could not submit their applications because the relevant facility had not become operational, according to the sources.

Concerns Over First-Come, First-Served Basis

The uncertainty was particularly significant because the Hajj process is being conducted on a “first come, first served” basis, raising concerns among applicants that delays could affect their chances.

Sources in the Ministry of Religious Affairs indicated that the application process was expected to begin later in the evening following completion of the required arrangements.

Application Schedule Changed

The latest delay follows changes to the anticipated application schedule.

According to the information provided to Islamabad Tribune, Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Sardar Muhammad Yousaf had earlier indicated that applications would be received from August 17.

The process was subsequently pushed to August 18 but did not begin at the expected time that day either.

Prospective pilgrims were also not adequately informed in advance about the delay, according to sources, adding to uncertainty among those waiting at banks or attempting to access the online system.

Registration Already Crossed 340,000

The development should be distinguished from the earlier Hajj registration process.

The Ministry of Religious Affairs officially launched mandatory Hajj 2027 registration on June 22, allowing prospective pilgrims to register digitally through the Hajj portal and Pak Hajj application.

Registration was made mandatory for people intending to travel under either the government or private scheme.

Official figures subsequently showed exceptionally strong demand. By July 18, more than 340,000 intending pilgrims had registered, including around 246,000 expressing preference for the government scheme and 94,000 for the private scheme.

Pakistan’s Hajj Quota

Pakistan’s existing Hajj quota has stood at 179,210, while the government has also been pursuing an increase with Saudi authorities.

The Ministry of Religious Affairs has said preparations for Hajj 2027 are being conducted under a more extensively digitised system intended to improve transparency and convenience for pilgrims.

The precise cause of Tuesday’s delay, including the claim that the process was held up to facilitate a high-level inauguration, had not been independently confirmed through a publicly available ministry statement at the time of writing.

The official record supports the distinction above: the ministry says registration started June 22, while by July 18 registrations had exceeded 340,000. The 179,210 figure is also well established as Pakistan’s existing quota, though earlier official comments said negotiations were underway with Saudi Arabia to seek an increase.

Tribune Desk

Islamabad Tribune is a dedicated digital news platform covering the latest news, governance, public affairs, business, education, law and order, and community developments across Islamabad. Committed to accurate, responsible, and impactful journalism, we deliver credible reporting that keeps citizens informed about the stories shaping Pakistan’s capital. Keeping Islamabad Informed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button